| Author |
Message |
DarkRothaus Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
23-05-2010, 13:36 Subject: Mercedes CAN USB: No Connection / Green LED |
Quote |
|
Hello,
Sure, here is the translation of the text from German to English:
'Introduce yourself as a newbie in the...'
CAN world before
And I already have a first problem.
Hardware:
- Notebook with WXP, CAN Hacker, CAN Monitor, and CAN232 hardware.
- Alternatively, a car PC with Windows Vista.
- CANUSB
- Mercedes C-Class 202 facelift (model year 1998), equipped with an E-Class 210 multi-function steering wheel and instrument cluster.
I connected the two CAN lines from the interior's potential distribution unit to the 9-pin connector and then connected it to the CAN USB interface. The cable running from the CAN distributor to the USB box is approximately 20 cm long.
I tried setting the bitrate to 83 kbps in CAN Hacker using the values from the thread.
http://www.canhack.de/en/viewtopic.php?t=975
In the CAN232 HSW module (which was developed for a Mercedes), I can directly select a bitrate of 83 kbits.
In none of the cases does the green LED flash even once.
When I disable 'listen only' mode in the CAN hacker, the red LED stays on continuously. The same thing happens with the CAN232 HSW.
If I set the CAN speed to 250 kbps in CAN Hacker and disable 'listen only,' I get to the point where, for example, my power windows stop working, which means there's already some kind of connection established.
I'm a bit at a loss right now because I don't have any other way to test whether the (new) adapter is working properly.
Are there any ideas/tips?
Best regards,
Patrick.
(I also occasionally visit the w202-friends forum, the Mercedes-Forum, and car-pc.info.)
Translated on 25-08-2026, 8:54.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
benmar Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 9:21 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix Now! |
Quote |
|
Hast du auch eine Masseleitung gelegt?
I once had a problem with a Mercedes where the CAN High and CAN Low signals were not sufficient to successfully connect to the CAN bus. I then also connected the ground wire, and it worked.
Greetings.
Benjamin.
Translated on 25-08-2026, 8:58.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
DarkRothaus Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 10:12 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
Ich hatte sie mal provisorisch auf einen blanke Stelle gehängt.
If that might be the cause, I'll try making a proper ground connection and see if anything changes.
Regards,
Patrick.Best regards,
PatricBest regards,
Translated on 25-08-2026, 8:58.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
p.ostrich Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 10:32 Subject: USB not working in Mercedes 202? No connection |
Quote |
|
If you're already messing up your window controls at a data rate of 250 kbaud, that might actually be the right direction to go in.
I would like to try the following:
- Does your CAN configuration match?
- Connect the CAN ground.
- Output impedance
- Shorten the cable length.
- Finally, try different speeds in case you were mistaken.
Best regards, Patrick.
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:00.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
benmar Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 10:45 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix Now! |
Quote |
|
Wie hast du can high und can low zum fahrzeug geführt?
Versuche die 2 kabel miteinander zu verdrillen, so erzeugst du ein twisted pair kabel und wirkst störungen entgegen.
Mercedes definitely has 83,333 kBit.
Please also note that the values specified in the threads for 83kBit refer to a different CAN adapter. (Different hardware, possibly different clocking, therefore different values).
Regards,
Benjamin.
EDIT:
If you are using the CAN232 interface, open CAN Hacker and enter 04BE07 in User Def. If that doesn't work, try 8F03 instead. .Please note that the values specified in the threads refer to a different CAN adapter (different hardware, potentially different clocking, therefore different values).Greetings.If you are using the CAN232 interface, open CAN Hacker and enter '04BE07' in the User Def. field. If that doesn't work, try entering '8F03' instead.
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:02.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
DarkRothaus Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 10:48 Subject: USB not working in Mercedes 202? No connection |
Quote |
|
If you're already messing up your window controls at 250 baud, that might just be the right direction.
I would like to try the following:
- Does your CAN configuration match?
The CAN L and H lines should be correct, but I've already tried reversing them, and that doesn't change anything.
- Connect the CAN ground.
I will test that.
- Output impedance
Where exactly does it need to go? Just between the L and H pins before I plug it into the 9-pin connector? Are 60 or 120 the correct values, right?
- Shorten the cable length.
It's pretty minimalist already.
- finally, try different speeds if you think you might be wrong.
Best regards, Patrick.
I'm pretty exhausted.
'Thank you!'
Best regards,
Patrick.
Ah, another new post  .
Please note that the values specified in the threads for 83 kbit refer to a different CAN adapter. (Different hardware, possibly different clocking, therefore different values.)
Okay, then I would need to check the clock rate of the CANUSB again. However, the CAN232HSW should at least work, since the author of the software used that exact adapter.
I'll twist the cables together later.
I plugged it into the potential distribution block 30/7 (or whatever it's called), which is located in the front passenger-side sill.
'Thanks  '
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:05.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
benmar Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 10:52 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix Now! |
Quote |
|
Probier mal die Werte 04BE07 und 8F03 als Benutzer definierte BAUD werte.
Die haben bei mir mit CANUSB funktioniert.
If neither of the two values works, try 09BE07 as well.
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:08.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
p.ostrich Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 16:43 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
Hey.
What does the baud rate have to do with CAN adapters? If it's 83, then it should always be 83. Or what exactly are you referring to?
Resistance between H and L: yes.
'120 should be okay.'
P.S.: There must be a reason why the connection is disrupted at 250. However, there could be many reasons for this.
Good luck!
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:09.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
benmar Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 17:44 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
Die baudrate an sich hat mit dem CAN Adapter gar nichts zu tun.
Aber...
Wenn du 83kb einstellen willst, musst du diese User Defeniert eingeben in Form von 'Bit timing register' und diese Register werte hängen von der Taktgeschwindigkeit des CAN Adapters ab.
The reason the bus is being disrupted at 250kb...
A higher baud rate (and therefore a higher transmission speed) means that bits must be sent faster, resulting in more bits transmitted in a shorter time.
If you connect to an 83kb bus with a device operating at 250kb, you are transmitting data at a significantly higher speed than the rest of the bus. This can interfere with other participants.
This interference can lead to malfunctions or even complete failures of individual devices. Mercedes vehicles are particularly sensitive in this regard. I once experimented with a Mercedes C-Class (W203) from 2001 by connecting it to the bus at different speeds. In one extreme case, all the modules on the interior CAN bus malfunctioned.
Regards,
Benjamin.nA higher baud rate (resulting in a faster transmission speed) means that the bits must be sent more quickly, therefore transmitting more bits in a shorter time.
If you connect to an 83kb bus with a device operating at 250kb, you are sending data at a significantly higher speed than the rest of the bus, which can interfere with other participants.
This can lead to malfunctions or even complete failures of individual devices. Mercedes vehicles are particularly sensitive in this regard. I once experimented with connecting to the CAN bus of a Mercedes C-Class (W203) from 2001 at different speeds. In one extreme case, all the modules within the interior system went haywire.
Best regards,
BenjaminIf you connect a device with 250kb to an 83kb bus, you are sending data at a significantly higher speed than the rest of the bus. This can interfere with other participants.
This can lead to malfunctions or even complete failures of individual components. Mercedes vehicles are particularly sensitive in this regard. I once experimented with a Mercedes C-Class (W203) from 2001 by connecting it to the bus at different speeds. In one extreme case, all the participants on the internal CAN bus malfunctioned.
Best regards,
BeIt can range from malfunctions to the actual failure of individual components. Mercedes vehicles are particularly sensitive in this regard. Once, I experimented with a Mercedes C-Class (W203) manufactured in 2001 to see what happens when you attach yourself to a bus at different speeds. In one extreme case, all the internal components connected to the CAN bus went haywire.
Best regards,
BenjaThis can range from malfunctions to the complete failure of individual components. In this regard, Mercedes vehicles are particularly sensitive. Once, I experimented with a Mercedes C-Class (W203) manufactured in 2001 by attaching myself to a bus at different speeds. In one extreme case, all the internal components connected to the CAN bus malfunctioned.Greetings.
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:13.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
DarkRothaus Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
25-05-2010, 17:56 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
Danke für die rege Beteiligung!
Okay, so I've shortened the cable again and tried it -> same result.
Then I looked for a resistor, unfortunately only found a 150 Ohm one, which I soldered in. This resulted in the red LED no longer lighting up when connected, and I can also no longer interfere with the window lifters etc., regardless of the bitrate. However, reading still doesn't work. I will get a 120 Ohm tomorrow.
Here is another picture of the distribution block (still with my 'old' cable). I will also get the original connector for the block as soon as possible, but I don't think that's the problem.
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/dezlchhe/IMG_7632.JPG
And here is another picture of how the cable looks between the distribution block and the CAN USB at the moment:
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/6w08q841/IMG_7640.JPG
In this configuration, I have tested all 3 bitrates from benmar. (I assume that the 8F03 also has '04' in front of it, right?) and nothing changed, except that, as mentioned above, the red LED no longer lights up since the resistor was added, and nothing can be interfered with anymore.
I'm curious to see how it will look tomorrow with the correct resistor..Okay, so I've checked the cable again.Then I searched for a resistor, unfortunately only found one 150 Ohm and soldered it in. This resulted in the red LED no longer lighting up when connected, and I can also no longer interfere with the window lifters, etc., regardless of the bitrate. However, reading still doesn't work. I will get a 120 Ohm resistor tomorrow.
Here is another picture of the distribution block (still with my 'old' cable). I will also acquire the original connector for the block as soon as possible, but I don't think that's the problem.
}http://www.imagebanana.com/img/dezlchhe/IMG_7632.JPG}
And here is another picture of how the cable looks between the distribution block and the CAN USB at the moment:
}http://www.imagebanana.com/img/6w08q841/IMG_7640.JPG}
I have tested all 3 bitrates from benmar in this configuration. (I assume that the 8F03 also has '04' at the beginning, right?) and nothing changed, except that, as mentioned above, the red LED no longer lights up since I installed the resistor, and it is no longer possible to interfere with anything.
I'm curious to see how it will be tomorrow with the correct resistor.'So, I then looked for a resistor, but unfortunately only found a 150-ohm one, which I soldered in. As a result, the red LED no longer lights up when connected, and I can't interfere with the window lifters or anything else, regardless of the bitrate. However, reading still doesn't work. I will get a 120-ohm resistor tomorrow.'Here's another picture of the power strip (still with my 'old' cable). I will also get the original connector for the strip as soon as possible, but I don't think that should be a problem.}http://www.imagebanana.com/img/dezlchhe/IMG_7632.JPG}And here's a picture of what the cable connecting the strip to the CAN USB looks like currently:}http://www.imagebanana.com/img/6w08q841/IMG_7640.JPG}I'm curious to see what the actual resistance will look like tomorrow.I'm curious to see how the resistance will perform tomorrow.
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:20.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
p.ostrich Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
26-05-2010, 14:13 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
@benmar.
Yes, after I wrote that, I had also thought of it in that way  .
'150 ohms should also be okay and work. It worked for me before. Although you never know, and if it's that difficult with Mercedes-Benz, then it might be worth a try.'
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:25.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
DarkRothaus Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
26-05-2010, 17:33 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
So, to quote Avatar... resistance is futile  .
Jetzt hab ich eigentlich keine Ansätze mehr.
Various bitrates, with and without mass, different tools, CAN L and H swapped...
What I've noticed is that the manual states that the LEDs on the adapter should blink 3 times. If I'm not mistaken (it happens quite quickly), they only blink twice on mine.
I'm starting to feel like the adapter is broken. :(
The result was the same as with the 150 Ohm resistor.
Does anyone else have any ideas?
Would it make sense to try powering it directly? It doesn't work on two computers... normally, that should rule out a USB power supply issue.
Thanks & Regards,
Patrick.What I've noticed is that the instructions state that the LEDs on the adapter should flash three times. If I'm not mistaken (it happens pretty quickly), but the LEDs on mine only flash twice.Slowly, I'm getting the feeling that the adapter is broken. }'Would it make sense to try powering it with electricity? It's not working on two computers... normally, that should rule out a USB power supply issue.'Thank you & best regards,
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:27.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
DarkRothaus Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
27-05-2010, 12:04 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
Okay, I have some news and a partial success to report.
Nachdem ich gestern Nachmittag wgsoft http://www.wgsoft.de , dem Händler geschrieben habe wo ich den CANUSB gekauft habe, kam prompt gestern Abend noch eine Antwort.
The assumption was that something wasn't right with the bitrate, and I should try using the 500kbit setting on the Motor CAN. I removed the instrument cluster and connected it to the Motor CAN, and sure enough, it works with 500kbit. I can see data in both CAN Hacker and CAN Monitor, and the green LED is blinking.
It's probably because the hexadecimal values for the 'manual' bitrate aren't correct for my setup.
Now, I just need ideas on how to get the correct values  .
Thank you again for the quick response from wgsoft and all of you here.
I'm curious to see if this issue with the bitrate can still be resolved  .
And to lighten things up a bit, here's a partial success
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/fxlw5luw/motorcan.JPG
Regards,
Patrick.The suspicion was that there might be an issue with the bitrate, so I decided to try using the motor CAN bus at 500kbps. I removed the instrument cluster and connected it to the motor CAN bus, and sure enough, it worked with 500kbps. I can now see data in both CAN Hacker and CAN Monitor, and the green LED is blinking.Now I just need ideas on how to get the right ones }.
Thank you again at this point for the quick response from wgsoft and all of you here.
I'm curious to see if the bitrate issue can still be resolved }.
And to lighten things up a bit, here's a partial success }
}http://www.imagebanana.com/img/fxlw5luw/motorcan.JPG}
Regards,
PatricI'm curious to see if the bitrate issue can still be resolved }.
And to lighten things up a bit, here's a partial success }.
}http://www.imagebanana.com/img/fxlw5luw/motorcan.JPG}
Best regards,
PatricAnd to lighten things up a bit, here's a partial success }
}http://www.imagebanana.com/img/fxlw5luw/motorcan.JPG}
Best regards,
PatricAnd to lighten things up a bit, here's a partial success }. }http://www.imagebanana.com/img/fxlw5luw/motorcan.JPG}Best regards,
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:33.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
p.ostrich Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
27-05-2010, 13:43 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
Okay, but you said your adapter worked... or did it not? That's why I assumed it would.
über die einstellung kann ich leider nicht viel sagen. hab ne andere hardware. aber hier sicher irgendwer anders.
Have you tried the values listed above??Have you tried the values listed above?
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:40.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
p.ostrich Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
27-05-2010, 13:45 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
and one more thing... I don't know how to configure this, but try it the other way around as well.
8F03
and also
038F
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:40.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
DarkRothaus Guest
Free account, no CAN development support
|
27-05-2010, 13:52 Subject: USB Not Working in Mercedes 202? Fix It! |
Quote |
|
Ja, der Adapter funktioniert.
Habe alle Werte aus diesem Thread hier probiert, ja.
I received a link from wgsoft to configure my computer with kvaser.com (and the correct settings), and now I have a long list of values for BTR0 and BTR1 that I'm going to try out right away.
Translated on 25-08-2026, 9:41.
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|