CANhack.de CAN-Interface RKS+CAN
CAN Hardware, CAN Software, CAN Protocols - CAN Bus Forum for Your CAN Bus Project.

CAN ID Water Temperature Sensor

 
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » Vehicle-specific Hardware and Pin Assignments
Author Message
TDISchorsch
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post07-09-2012, 21:17    Subject: CAN ID Water Temperature Sensor Quote

Hello everyone,
I am looking for the ID in the A4 B6/B7 models that corresponds to my data and which, among other things, transmits the coolant temperature.
I am grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,
Schorsch.


Translated on 25-08-2026, 3:02.
Back to top
Dieselfahrer
CAN-Profi
CAN-Profi


Joined: 07/28/2011
Posts: 79
Karma: +6 / -0   Thank you, like it!


CAN Support

Post09-09-2012, 14:54    Subject: CAN ID Water Temperature Measurement Quote

Quote:
To compare with my data, I am looking for the ID in the A4 B6/B7 that, among other things, transmits the coolant temperature.


According to my documentation, it should be located at address 0x288 (from Motronik) on CAN drive byte 2.

Coolant temperature, byte 2, bits 7-0: 0.0, [-47.25..142.5 °] (0.75 * value - 48°, 0xff indicates error).

or also 0x420 (from the station wagon), byte 5, same encoding.


Translated on 25-08-2026, 3:03.
Back to top Profile PM
TDISchorsch
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post09-09-2012, 18:16    Subject: CAN ID Water Temperature Sensor Quote

Hello,
Thank you for the information; unfortunately, this ruins my plan B.
'For some time now, I've been working on a solution that, for example, displays the oil temperature on the FIS display. I already have the oil temperature, boost pressure, and intake air temperature integrated. Now, I wanted to include the water temperature as well, so I measured the coolant temperature sensor with a multimeter (voltage) and noticed that up to 50°C, the voltage value decreases steadily. Then, the multimeter suddenly fluctuates significantly, almost as if the control unit is querying the sensor using pulses.'
I haven't found any errors in the control units. Now, either the sensor is fluctuating and the instrument cluster has a strong smoothing function applied, or the sensor itself is faulty.

Okay, that's what I thought – I was planning to read the value directly from the CAN bus. However, since I'm not working with either the engine or the comfort CAN bus, that approach is a dead end. Unfortunately, I don't have access to those IDs on the infotainment CAN bus either.

Thank you.

Regards,
Schorsch.


Translated on 25-08-2026, 3:05.
Back to top
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » Vehicle-specific Hardware and Pin Assignments
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.