CANhack.de CAN-Interface RKS+CAN
CAN Hardware, CAN Software, CAN Protocols - CAN Bus Forum for Your CAN Bus Project.

CAN Bus Basics: Getting Started

 
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » CAN Bus General
Author Message
sinocastel
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post26-08-2014, 15:33    Subject: CAN Bus Basics: Getting Started Quote

Hello,

My name is Phil, and I would like to delve deeper into the topic of CAN bus in the near future. I am familiar with the basic functionality of CAN.

I own various hardware and software, including OBD adapters and cables, MoDiag Expert, VCDS, and an oscilloscope (both lab and portable). I've worked on several small projects and built a few things. However, I'm not an expert – it's all a hobby. Please excuse me if some of my assumptions are incorrect.

When I read data from my Golf using VCDS, I get values such as injection time and injection quantity from the engine control unit. These and other specific data cannot be read with software like MoDiag. So, if I want to know which CAN messages these data points correspond to, I would need to intercept and decode the communication, correct? How exactly would I go about doing that? My idea is to use an OBD-Y cable and connect it to both a computer with VCDS and a CAN sniffer with software. Then, I would request the desired data using VCDS and simultaneously log the communication. Does that sound right? Or am I making a mistake here? And what would be the next step?

Is there any introductory literature available on this specific topic?

Best regards,
Phil.


Translated on 02-10-2026, 7:34.
Back to top
CAN-Diagnose
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar-CAN-Diagnose

Joined: 06/07/2011
Posts: 575
Karma: +29 / -0   Thank you, like it!
Location: Ländle



Post26-08-2014, 18:16    Subject: CAN Bus Basics: Getting Started Quote

Buch "Bussysteme in der Fahrzeugtechnik

Protokolle, Standards und Softwarearchitektur

Reihe: ATZ/MTZ-Fachbuch

Zimmermann, Werner, Schmidgall, Ralf"

und dieses Forum hier. icon_wink.gif

Viele Grüsse, Rainer
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Rainer Kaufmann - Embedded Software Freelancer
System RKS+CAN: CANHack.de CAN-Bus Interface
Back to top Profile PM WWW
sinocastel
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post27-08-2014, 14:20    Subject: CAN Bus Basics: Getting Started Quote

Hello Rainer,

Thank you for your reply. The book is available at our library. I will borrow it as soon as possible.

If I order the RKS+CAN interface along with the KCANMonitor, will that help me progress with my experiments? And is there a detailed manual for the software?

Best regards,
Phil.


Translated on 02-10-2026, 7:37.
Back to top
CAN-Diagnose
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar-CAN-Diagnose

Joined: 06/07/2011
Posts: 575
Karma: +29 / -0   Thank you, like it!
Location: Ländle



Post27-08-2014, 16:01    Subject: CAN Bus Basics: Getting Started Quote

Hallo Phil,

KCANMonitor ist größtenteils selbsterklärend, im Programm gibt es eine Hilfe:

RKS+CAN am Kabelbaum oder OBD2-Buchse anschliessen und "Verbinden" Button im Programm klicken, schon sieht man was auf dem Bus los ist.

Viele Grüsse, Rainer
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Rainer Kaufmann - Embedded Software Freelancer
System RKS+CAN: CANHack.de CAN-Bus Interface
Back to top Profile PM WWW
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » CAN Bus General
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.