CANhack.de CAN-Interface RKS+CAN
CAN Hardware, CAN Software, CAN Protocols - CAN Bus Forum for Your CAN Bus Project.

CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications

 
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » CAN Bus General
Author Message
kerbel
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post09-11-2006, 18:46    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

Hello everyone,

I purchased a microcontroller board with an ATMega128 processor and an AT90CAN12 controller. Does anyone have any idea how I can get data into it? I'm also interested in the USB CAN adapter.

Thank you and best regards.


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:48.
Back to top
kerbel
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post24-12-2006, 18:07    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

Hmmm, does anyone really have a clue, or at least feel like giving an answer??


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:49.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post24-12-2006, 19:56    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

Sorry, but here's a very blunt but clear answer: Read the datasheet! And then ask again if you have questions, but provide more details (e.g., about the compiler).

You don't need the ATMega128 because the AT90CAN12 is a microcontroller that already includes CAN ports.

<!-- m --><a class='postlink' href='http://www.reichelt.de/?SID=29TLlwS6wQAR0AAE1hGho56811dc95aee903e65c19053d96bcc30;ACTION=6;LA=3;ARTICLE=55544;GROUPID=2946;GROUP=A316'>http://www.reichelt.de/?SID=29TLlwS6wQA ... GROUP=A316</a><!-- m -->


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:49.
Back to top
kerbel
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post31-12-2006, 17:41    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

By the time I've gone through hundreds of pages, I'll be ready for a good, old-fashioned folding machine.
'My main concern was whether my requirements could be met. Shouldn't a forum be intended for such general questions?'
I'm not going to struggle through all the documentation, and in the end, I have to somehow find out that this and that are not feasible. I should have thought about it beforehand icon_redface.gif.
Time is money, and I'll probably have to throw away all this ATMEL junk that I bought in a fit of madness, enthusiasm, and stupidity. Yes, I'm to blame, I know, but let's icon_evil.gif.


Goodbye, guys.


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:51.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post31-12-2006, 18:20    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

I've already given you a short and concise answer: The AT90CAN12 is sufficient; you don't need the others. You'll also need a CAN bus driver (PCA82C250), a quartz crystal (with 27pF capacitors), 100nF capacitors between GND and +5V, directly at the two chips, a 10k resistor connected to the reset pin of the AVR to +5V, a 120-ohm resistor connected to +5V at the RS pin of the PCA82C250. It's either finished or not finished; the rest is a matter of programming. You'll need to read the datasheets and, most importantly, be able to program. I haven't found anything ready-made for the AVR.

Happy New Year!


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:52.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post31-12-2006, 18:23    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

Here's another completely different thing, if they read it like this:

It seems I'm going to have to throw away all this Atmel junk I bought in a fit of madness, enthusiasm, and stupidity. Yes, I'm to blame, I know, but let's just call it 'Evil or Very Mad.'


Have you ever worked with an MCU (Microcontroller Unit) before?

With an AVR, you can do a lot if you know how: <!-- m --><a class='postlink' href='http://www.rowalt.de/mc/avr/avrboard/01/avrb01.htm'>http://www.rowalt.de/mc/avr/avrboard/01/avrb01.htm</a><!-- m -->


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:54.
Back to top
kerbel
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post06-01-2007, 9:19    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

@rathma, thank you very much, this already helps me a bit.
I have the ATMega128 together with the AT90CAN on a circuit board, which I bought from <!-- m --><a class='postlink' href='http://www.display3000.com/'>http://www.display3000.com/</a><!-- m -->.
I need the AT90 microcontroller so that I can read the sensor/controller data from the bus, and I don't want to have to connect to each sensor/controller individually.
The data read from the AT90 must be forwarded to the ATMega128 and processed in a way that allows it to be used to optimize the injection maps (which I will need to determine beforehand through test drives) and then output to the injectors.
I know that this is achievable, but, as so often happens, the devil is in the details.
I strongly suspect that there is significant potential hidden within 'dainter' that could be utilized commercially or in other ways.
I'm thinking about the add-on boxes that are offered on the market, which cost anywhere from a few hundred to well over 1000 euros.
In my case, it's (for now) purely about the enjoyment of doing it.


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:55.
Back to top
rletos
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post02-04-2007, 14:31    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

@kerbel,

Look at that: <!-- m --><a class='postlink' href='http://www.mictronics.de/?page=can_bus'>http://www.mictronics.de/?page=can_bus</a><!-- m -->


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:57.
Back to top
megafix
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post03-05-2007, 11:37    Subject: CAN with Atmel128: Microcontroller Applications Quote

@kerbel

You seem to be mixing up the components a bit. As far as I know, there is no such thing as an AT90CAN12. I also can't find a board with both an AT90CAN128 and an ATmega128 in the display3000 shop; they only offer boards with one of the two. Why would you even need two MCUs?

Or was there ever a circuit board with both MCUs on it?

Which PCBs of the mini development system, with which additional components, are you actually using now?

Best regards,
megafix


Translated on 13-09-2026, 17:58.
Back to top
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » CAN Bus General
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.