CANhack.de CAN-Interface RKS+CAN
CAN Hardware, CAN Software, CAN Protocols - CAN Bus Forum for Your CAN Bus Project.

Hardware Consulting: Combo Instrument Project

 
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » CAN Bus General
Author Message
Diamondback



Joined: 07/09/2017
Posts: 4
Karma: +0 / -0   Thank you, like it!


Free account, no CAN development support

Post09-07-2017, 11:58    Subject: Hardware Consulting: Combo Instrument Project Quote

Hello everyone,

My name is Fabian, and I would like to request some advice regarding my new project.

I am currently working on a car simulation (specifically, an embedded CAN bus interface) and want to control a real instrument cluster from within the simulation.

I've seen a few threads on similar topics, but I think my situation is a bit different, which is why I'm starting a new thread.

Here is a brief explanation of the situation mentioned:

  • This project is exclusively about utilizing the CAN bus; I have no interest in providing analog values to the instrument cluster or using other bus systems (with the possible exception of LIN, if it should be necessary).
  • I have full control over the software of the simulation, which means I don't have to adhere to existing structures.
  • The goal is to utilize as many functions of the vehicle as possible via the CAN bus, ideally everything that is available.
  • Primarily, however, speed and velocity would be a good starting point.
  • I myself am a programmer and have enough experience in the field of electronics, so assembling a cable myself should not be a problem.
  • The instrument cluster should, as much as possible, be the only CAN-BUS client (apart from the CAN-USB converter, of course).


Now, to the actual question: I'm looking for the most suitable combination of hardware for this project.
The combination device should ideally have as many functions as possible running over the CAN bus. Ideally, it should use only one CAN bus. However, even if it uses more than one, and everything else is satisfactory, it's still worth considering.
Of course, the necessary CAN IDs should also be well-known, as I probably won't have the opportunity to sniff real CAN traffic.

Here's a brief list of features that I might be interested in:

  • Speed
  • Speed
  • Fuel fill-up.
  • Water/oil temperature.
  • Turn signal
  • Low beam/high beam.
  • Various error symbols/lights.
  • ESP/ASR lamps.
  • Cruise control lights.
  • MFA control, if possible.


So far, I've mostly found information about Golf 4-7 station wagons, but I think some people here might be able to offer some additional feedback.

Best regards,
Fabian.


Translated on 25-09-2026, 4:27.
Back to top Profile PM
CAN-Diagnose
Administrator
Administrator
Avatar-CAN-Diagnose

Joined: 06/07/2011
Posts: 575
Karma: +29 / -0   Thank you, like it!
Location: Ländle



Post09-07-2017, 12:27    Subject: Hardware Consulting: Combo Instrument Project Quote

Hi,

als Startpunkt wären evtl. http://www.canhack.de/en/viewtopic.php?t=2212 und http://www.canhack.de/en/viewtopic.php?t=2168 interessant.
Welche CAN-ID an welchem Kombiinstrument was bewirkt ist stark vom jeweiligen Fahrzeug bzw. dessen Kombiinstrument abhängig, mit etwas Suche dürftest Du hier für etliche Modelle Daten finden.

Viele Grüße, Rainer
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Rainer Kaufmann - Embedded Software Freelancer
System RKS+CAN: CANHack.de CAN-Bus Interface


Last edited on 09-07-2017, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Back to top Profile PM WWW
Diamondback



Joined: 07/09/2017
Posts: 4
Karma: +0 / -0   Thank you, like it!


Free account, no CAN development support

Post22-07-2017, 14:27    Subject: Hardware Consulting: Combo Instrument Project Quote

Great, thank you very much! icon_smile.gif
I've now decided on a Golf 6 KI and have almost gotten everything running. icon_smile.gif

As soon as I have fixed a few minor errors, I will upload a short documentation about the CAN messages. icon_smile.gif


Translated on 25-09-2026, 4:31.
Back to top Profile PM
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » CAN Bus General
Similar articles and topics
Topic Forum
No new posts Opel Project Engine CAN
No new posts Project - what's possible with Can? CAN Bus General
No new posts Analog2CAN Project Wiki CAN Bus General
No new posts Who's in: Open-source project for CAN? CAN Software Tools and Software
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.