CANhack.de CAN-Interface RKS+CAN
CAN Hardware, CAN Software, CAN Protocols - CAN Bus Forum for Your CAN Bus Project.

VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions

 
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » Vehicle-specific Hardware and Pin Assignments
Author Message
fpp
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post18-02-2007, 19:09    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

Hello everyone,
'I would like to know if the VW Lupo also has a CAN bus, as I saw in the wiring diagrams for the engine control unit. Does it have one? (It sounds a bit strange...)'

Has anyone had any experience with this before, or managed to identify any IDs?

Thank you in advance.

Frank.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:11.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post19-02-2007, 19:55    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

1. Yes.
2. Yes (at least for the Motorcan model, year 1999).


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:12.
Back to top
Maxx
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post19-02-2007, 21:00    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

As far as I know, the Lupo only has a Motor-CAN system.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:12.
Back to top
fpp
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post14-03-2007, 12:47    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

1. yes.
2. yes (at least the motorcan model from 1999)

I sent you a message; I would appreciate any information you can provide.

Frank.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:13.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post14-03-2007, 15:54    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

The answer is available publicly.
You probably won't find a CAN bus connection on the OBD port (usually, Volkswagen only started using it around model year 2003).

I don't know what model year your car is. You can definitely find the engine control unit (ECU) connection at the engine and at the ABS control unit. If your speedometer shows '920' in the middle, you can also find it at the speedometer.

Regarding your question about the IDs:
I mostly discovered these things by meticulously comparing knife models and CAN bus messages, and I logged the data using the CANhack USB adapter from this forum.
And no, I won't be publishing any tables here that contain all the bits of information that would describe everything in detail.
If you ever come across a measurement that you have trouble understanding, I'm happy to help you decipher it.

Here's another question from me: Did you build the ATmega with the integrated CAN and connected display yourself, or did you buy it pre-made somewhere? I was thinking of trying to build one myself.
'I'd like to use these MCUs, but unfortunately, they're not available in DIP format. And the other version requires too much soldering, which I find tedious.'

Regards,
Markus.

ps
There are already quite a few descriptions of motor controllers in this forum, which should be enough for you to build your own 'motor controller assembly.'


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:15.
Back to top
fpp
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post14-03-2007, 20:19    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

'So, the Lupo is a 2004 model. Is it possible to activate something related to it? Because the wiring diagram shows it as a cable, and the contacts are also present in the OBD connector.'
2. Why do you 'not want to release' the data? Are there legal issues involved, or is it a matter of 'sportsmanship'?
3. You can buy the board <!-- w --><a class='postlink' href='http://www.display3000.com'>http://www.display3000.com</a><!-- w -->.

Thank you in advance.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:17.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post14-03-2007, 20:36    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

'I have no idea what kind of CAN-AM OBD connector it is; it might also be connected to the interior.'

2. Behind every successful project, there are days of intense brainstorming and a lot of effort, and also a few euros.
I once sent someone some IDs and a full explanation (it was about Mercedes navigation systems), and a week later, he turned that knowledge (or rather, my knowledge) into real money.
Apart from that, Volkswagen likely has some kind of copyright protection on it as well.
If you ever have trouble deciphering an ID, I'd be happy to help, but there's no list available!

Best regards.
markus


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:18.
Back to top
fpp
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post14-03-2007, 20:41    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

Okay, no problem, I understand.

I had the wiring diagram printed out from VW, and the CAN bus is shown on it; it runs from the fuse box to the OBD connector.
Here's a question: Isn't this a symmetrical signal? If I were to measure something, wouldn't it be between CAN-H and CAN-L? But there's nothing happening there. Or am I not seeing anything with a regular multimeter? And if I did see something, what level would it be approximately?

Well, it was more than just one question.
Thank you, Frank.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:20.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post15-03-2007, 1:41    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

Okay, so between the 'hi' and 'low' signals on the motorcan (ignition ON!!!), there should be approximately 3.6V. 'High' relative to ground should be around 2.6V, and 'low' relative to ground should be around 2.4V, at most. It's possible that some 'wakeup' functions are currently active, which could explain the higher voltage. When the ignition is off, you can also measure the ohmic resistance.
When the ignition is off, the motor can be turned off, but the interior lighting always remains on.

It's also possible that there's an issue with the OBD diagnostic interface. As I understand it, it might require a 'wake-up' signal before the gateway (in your case, the instrument cluster) activates the bus. However, I'm not entirely sure if this applies to all car manufacturers or just certain ones, as my Golf 4 doesn't have diagnostic communication over CAN and therefore doesn't have CAN on the OBD connector.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:21.
Back to top
fpp
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post15-03-2007, 23:38    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

Hello again,

Okay, just to clarify for those who might not be familiar, 'wakeup' means that the bus voltage is greater than 0.9V, right?
At the connectors (ODB), as I mentioned, I didn't measure any voltage. Let's see if I can get any useful data from it.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:23.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post15-03-2007, 23:48    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

Simply check if there's a resistance between the two pins, but terminal 15 must have voltage applied to it.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:23.
Back to top
fpp
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post16-03-2007, 0:04    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

Simply check if there is a resistance between the two pins, but terminal 15 should have voltage applied to it.

So, if you mean the K/L line, the L line doesn't exist icon_sad.gif, there's only K, and I've measured something on it.

The following pins are connected: 4, 5, 6, 14, and 16. I believe nothing else is connected, so it's likely K, CAN High, CAN Low, UB, and GND.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:24.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post16-03-2007, 0:06    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

no, my can is high and low.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:24.
Back to top
fpp
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post16-03-2007, 0:09    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

no mein can high and low
I still don't understand!

Okay, so there's the K-line at pin 7, CAN High at pin 6, CAN Low at pin 14, ground at pins 4 and 5, and +12V at pin 16.

http://shop.dieselschrauber.de/diagnose-schule.php

'where I measured K, ground, and 12V.'

There's always a bit of a push on the K line.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:25.
Back to top
rathma
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post16-03-2007, 14:16    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

If you're planning to program something yourself for your display, I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with CAN (Controller Area Network).

Here are some general information: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can-bus, and for some more information, you can use Google.

Just look for twisted orange wires; that's CAN.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:26.
Back to top
fpp
Guest




 


Free account, no CAN development support

Post16-03-2007, 15:10    Subject: VW Lupo CAN Bus: Problems & Solutions Quote

Since you're planning to program something yourself for your display, I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with CAN communication.

Here are some general information: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can-bus, and for some more information, you can use Google.

Just look for twisted orange wires at your place; that's CAN.

Thank you for the information.
I had already looked into it a bit before, but sometimes there are vehicle-specific or manufacturer-specific things that you can't find information about icon_sad.gif.
I'm going to measure the resistors now to see if I can measure their values; they should be around 120 ohms.


Translated on 10-09-2026, 15:27.
Back to top
New Topic Reply 🔗 ⭐ 🖨 CANhack.de - Index » Vehicle-specific Hardware and Pin Assignments
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
Similar articles and topics
Topic Forum
No new posts Island emergency power generator with a 1.7L naturally as... General
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.